Thursday, May 14, 2009

Kill Your RSS Reader

This article by Slate magazine's tech guy, Farhad Manjoo, is all about how RSS readers, championed by many as the only way to stay up-to-date on all your fave blogs and sites, are really unnecessary, not to mention annoying. I loved reading it. I have designed two RSS pages, on Yahoo! and on Google, over the past couple years, but I've never become a dedicated user of them. At best, I ignore them; at worst, they give me an unpleasant feeling of slackery and laziness, making something that should be fun - finding cool info on the web - as much of a chore as checking my work email (well, back when I had a job).

Manjoo's strategy for keeping up with the Joneses is a more sophisticated version of what I already do: he organizes the bookmarks in his browser according to how often he visits a site, and then opens them all up in the same window using the middle mouse button. (If you don't know what happens when you click on a link with the middle mouse button, go try it. I'll wait.)

My problem with RSS readers has always been: I already know what sites I want to visit. I already know what sites I'm going to visit. If a site has useful and interesting information, I'm unlikely to forget about it, so why do I need an RSS reader nagging me to do it? Until now I've been relying more on Delicious and my browser history to get me where I want to go, but I'm going to try this bookmark strategy. Let's see how it works.

No comments: