Saturday, April 11, 2009

Salamanca Public Library

I recently returned from a camping trip to the interior of Spain with my husband and two friends. We visited Toledo, Segovia, Avila, and Salamanca. Salamanca is known for its university, which has produced many famous minds. Among the must-sees in Salamanca, or so say the guidebooks, is a structure called the "casa de las conchas", a building decorated with shells -- not real ones, though. We eventually found it, and it turns out that its other name is "Biblioteca Publica".





According to the library's website, this library was inaugurated in 1993. Check out the entrace hall and weep.

I wanted to take some pictures of the interior of the library, but the librarians weren't too thrilled at the sight of my camera. I can't blame them, really: the atmosphere inside was so quiet and studious I felt like a jerk just walking around. I can report that they have made wonderful use of the space. Lots of windows and simple, modern design made everything feel light, spacious and airy.

Read more about the Casa de las Conchas on Wikipedia (Spanish only).

No comments: